Bolnedo re bechari ko

Teaching is like preparing a weather report and wait for the rain to fall or the sun to shine.If the weather report says it will rain, sun shows his might. And vice versa. A class also is the same as the sky. Anything can happen at any moment. This experience taught me the best of my teaching career.
First let's go through the details.

. That was 2010.
I joined in a new institution.
Preivously I worked in an all girl college. Now its a co-ed one. 
My first experience of working in a co-educational institution.
The boys and girls were in the class.
I had a word wit the principal of the college.
He was a man of around forty years. Not so fair complexion. He spoke with a concern over the change in generation. How they wisted their ways to suit the purpose.  was just smiling and nodding to his words

After half an hour he called in an ayah, and asked her to take me to my battle field.

The class room was located on the first floor. Hammayyy.a... I thought. Now at the place, where I could take charge of the situation. Everybody in the class was speaking loud and it sounded like a busy mandi on fridays. The boys were moving from front bench to the last. And the girls were busy with their gossiping. Some are looking at each other and pasing on the news that new faculty had come to teach them.

Here I took charge of the place near the board and wrote the title of the topic. No use. No silence
Next made a sound  or two with the duster. No use. No silence.
I could feel the levels of helplessness increase inside the mind.
What to do... How to do.. SHould I shout... I never believed in shouting.
I was standing there silent, enjoying the view of a disorderly class. THe principal peeped once or twice. And went on his way without saying a thing. Now its time to do something.

I asked the class "do you people wish to go through a lesson or not. As it is the first session for me I leave the choice to you."

One or two students looked at me and simply continued their conversation.

That was the last straw for me...
I moved to their benches, caught the roaming students in the class and dumped them in their benches. And hit the book hard on the bench. All the class fell silent and looked at me. "Why are you making noise?
"Today no class ma'am" pat came the reply.
I didn't know what to say. Yet I thought fast and asked "why?"
"We are in no mood for it."
"But I'm here means I have to take the class."
"NO" the class shouted in union.
 I told them "let us make an agreement. How much time are you all ready to spare to listen to the lesson?"
They looked in disbelief at me.
I said "yes, I'm ready for it. Now tell me."
One of them from the class in a meek voice commented, arrey... boldnedo re bechari ko.
I was stunned. Wow... its me the bechari... :)
I said to myself, ok cool... calm down.
I turned to them and said, "look I;m going to finish the lesson in ten minutes."
Took the chalk and started to explain.

Teaching a lesson to the students takes at least three classes. That's my usual ritual of explaining. How to finish a lesson that takes one hundred and eighty minutes of explanation in just ten minutes? Can I do that? There were the questions that went racing on my mind. Yet I encouraged my self - chalo ek experiment ho jaye...

Once the explanation started it went on till the end of the class time, the bell rang. And I smiled at the students.
Ma'am this is cheating... they all shouted in naughty smiles.
Yes my dears, I must, because I've to teach you so I learned from you :)

-- noenglish

No comments:

Post a Comment

COORG

THE BIRTH PLACE OF CAUVERY THE FOREST LOCALE THE EVENING SKYLINE BEAUTY OF THE SUNREISE